British Cycling’s RACESMART campaign has been designed to promote responsible racing on Britain’s roads and many of it’s principles also apply to closed circuit races and we have included these below. We also recommend that you watch the videos, even if you’re not a beginner!
The campaign uses digital resources to provide advice about racing etiquette, techniques, riding skills as well as highlighting the role riders can play in protecting the future of the sport.
Who is Racesmart for?
The Racesmart campaign promotes the good habits and positive behaviours of road racing directly to riders in a way that highlights the need to race responsibly.
What will Racesmart achieve?
Racesmart aims to:
- Emphasise the role that riders can play in protecting the future of road racing
- Build a culture of collective responsibility where riders respect each other and the racing environment
- Educate the less experienced riders by promoting good etiquette, techniques and skills and by highlighting the need to Racesmart
How can you Racesmart?
- Be alert to the riders around you – you are responsible for your own actions
- As well as your own safety think about the rider on your shoulder
- Race on the left
- Think twice before you dive for a gap
- When sprinting for the finish line, HOLD YOUR LINE and avoid deviating left or right
- Keep your hands on the bars (brake hoods or drops) AT ALL TIMES during a race and after crossing the finish line
- Avoid taking unnecessary risks
- Never deliberately obstruct, impede or block another rider
- Pass on knowledge to new and less experienced riders, constructively
For further details on Racesmart, and to watch the videos please go to